Thursday, October 1, 2009

Totally Random


This past weekend, as Twin and I were rushing through the grocery store, I felt an urgent need for beauty and impulsively bought 5 kinds of flowers. I'm pretty sure the woman at the checkout through either (a) someone had just had a baby, (b) someone had just died, or (c) I was some kind of a crazy, flower lady.

(Definitely option c, by the way.)

Anyway, I had a great time putting together these great bouquets - 2 for our apartment and 1 for our sweet landlady downstairs. And every single time I walk by them, I'm glad I did. The colors and textures are just stunning, and our house is much more cheerful because of them!



Also, look how cute those little pumpkins are...



Anyone remember my excited blathering about finding this book?

I finished it, and while I didn't love it as much as Flying Changes, it was good. Definitely a little more intense than its sequel, but still an enjoyable read.

You probably shouldn't read it if you're going through any significant life issues, since the entire book is about difficult life issues. Unless you like to feel better by seeing how other people's lives are worse than yours, it might push you over the edge.



So then I immediately picked up her other book, which was completely different in tone, subject matter, and character development. (So um, pretty much everything.)

The writing is a little tricky at the beginning and it took me a little while to get acclimated to what time period things were happening in (there is lots of switching between past & present) but overall I think it was enjoyable.

If you have a tender heart towards animals, this book makes you fiercely love some characters and really hate others...not to mention that you learn lots of pretty sketchy stuff about the old-school circus circuits.


Twin and I are starting to get creative in our food storage...aren't these little mason jars pretty with the dried beans and peas inside?

It very much makes me want to start making more warm and cozy cold-weather meals. Pea soup anyone?

(I'm impressed if you're still reading right now...although I did warn you that this post was totally random, in my defense.)


Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you about how lovely Twin was all weekend. It was a super busy grading weekend for her (which you can see above) and yet she was endlessly sweet and patient with me.

I was fighting a nasty cold, trying to work on the message I was teaching at my church, and just generally tired and overwhelmed. She, despite being more than busy enough on her own, took lots of time away from her grading to make me food and listen to my many rough drafts.

Even though I'm sure someone would want to debate this, I would like to assert that I have the best friend out there. Plus she makes a mean cup of hot cocoa...so top that!

No comments:

Post a Comment