Monday, September 21, 2009

A Poem


The Changed Man
by Robert Phillips

If you were to hear me imitating Pavarotti
in the shower every morning, you would know
how much you have changed my life.

If you were to see me stride across the park,
waving to strangers, then you would know
I am a changed man - like Scrooge

awakened from his bad dreams feeling feather
light, angel-happy, laughing the father
of a long line of bright laughs -

"It is still not too late to change my life!"
It is changed. Me, who felt short-changed.
Because of you I no longer hate my body.

Because of you I buy new clothes.
Because of you I'm a warrior of joy.
Because of you and me. Drop by

this Saturday morning and discover me
fiercely pulling weeds gladly, dedicated
as a born-again gardener.

Drop by on Sunday - I'll Turtlewax
your sky-blue sports car, no sweat. I'll greet
enemies with a handshake, forgive debtors

with a papal largesse. It's all because
of you. Because of you and me,
I've become one changed man.


When looking through a book of poems this morning, I rediscovered this one, and wanted to share. It speaks of hope and love in such a genuine and unpretentious way, and inspires me.

Hope your Monday is lovely.


*image via Cup of Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment