Friday, August 7, 2009

homeward bound




I feel like I just did a post like this, so please bear with me...

Today I'm off to Maine for another family funeral. My Grampy went home to be with Jesus last Saturday, just 3 days shy of the 6 month anniversary of Grammy's death. It was completely unexpected and shocking, and yet at the same time I think all of us understand it too.



I'm so conflicted about how I feel this week, which is why I haven't posted anything on here. (Or probably answered you very sucintly if you have expressed sympathy and asked how I'm doing...)

Part of me is sad and grieving - both for Grampy and Grammy. I can't believe that 6 months ago I had four grandparents...and now I have two. I feel as though so many of my memories of family are attached to these two people: I grew up next door to the farm (lots of cooking in the kitchen with Grammy and time in the barn and on the tractors with Grampy!), went on numerous fun trips with them as a kid (I'm a historic site expert!), and spent countless weekends camping all along the coast of Maine with them (hiking, swimming, making campfires, picking wild blueberries!).

Another part of me is glad for Grampy - the man was married for over 50 years, and to be honest, he just wasn't happy here without his love. Plus, I know that he's in heaven, not only with Grammy, but seeing his Savior face to face and experiencing the most amazing worship of his life. How can I be sad for this? I'm practically jealous for this!



So off I go. Thanks to all of my friends here who have been wonderful with hugs and abundant love this week - I love and appreciate each one of you.

2 comments:

  1. I like this Amanda. Thank you for writing this.It helps to lessen our loss. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My sister in laws Daddy went to be with Jesus last Wednesday. It makes it so much easier knowing they are not in pain and with Jesus, right?

    ReplyDelete