Tuesday, November 24, 2009

they're coming...



Does anyone else feel like the holidays have sneaked up on us this year? While I am slowly getting excited for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I feel a little ambushed by how fast everything has arrived.

It's not just the stores who put out Christmas decor in October that have thrown me for this loop - it's everyone around me who is already doing crazy things like listening to Christmas carols
(before Thanksgiving!!) and making holiday party plans. Plus, there's a definitely a house on my drive to church that is fully decked out in Christmas lights, blow up creatures, and has a fully decorated tree in the window. I mean, wow...two weeks before Thanksgiving is a little early, people.


But for fear of sounding like a scrooge, I will admit that I am started to get excited for this season - but we must have Thanksgiving first!!

I am excited to go home to see my wonderful family this week for all of our traditions. I can't wait to hear all my grandparents' cute stories that they store up for these sorts of occasions, and I'm thrilled to see how much my little cousin has grown up in the last year. I can't wait to cuddle up next to Daddy after we've eaten too much turkey and pie
(oh pie!) and drink tasty coffee and listen to all the family conversations...both the good ones and the bad.

(For some reason during the big Thanksgiving meal, I feel like I'm allowed to revert to that childhood position of listening in without being required to contribute too much of value...and it's kind of lovely,
actually.)


And once Thanksgiving has had it's chance to shine, I think I'll be ready to get excited for Christmas. This morning I did have a passing thought about when we could put up our white twinkle lights, and I have definitely started my Christmas shopping, so it will be fun to get into the full swing of finding the perfect thing for the people I love. Plus I just marked the remainder of my vacation days on the calendar at work, so I'll have six glorious days
in a row to celebrate!

What about you? Are you ready?


*1st image via Taste{Full} & others via my friend google image search

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree! They put up Christmas decorations all over campus this past week... I feel like they left out Thanksgiving completely! I was at Cabella's the other day too, and it's all Christmas. Geesh.

    ReplyDelete