Thursday, May 21, 2009

dreaming dreams

The beautiful weather is back, and with it comes my lofty dreams of fabulous gardens & backyards. When the weather is warm, I basically want to be outside all the time - and what better spot to be than in one's own beautiful yard?


(image from Desire to Inspire, 03.21.09)

If you've been to my apartment, chances are I dragged you out to see our pitiful little backyard, which we literally carved out of a rediculously steep hill. Although private and off the street (amazing) it never gets sun, which makes growing things a little difficult.

I call it the place plants come to die, since all of the plant donations from Mom's gardens have withered away to nothing - no matter what I try. We even managed to kill a plant affectionately named "T's curse" - named for it's ability to spread and survive anything. Yeah, we're that good.


(image from Desire to Inspire, 03.21.09)

So I still dream of gardens and fabulous yards. I collect photos and take mental notes when I hear people talking about great plants. When driving, I scope out the different yards, and pay special attention to those that people actually spend time in.




(unlabeled photo from who knows where...)


And for now I choose to enjoy our little yard for what it is - a quirky little spot with cheerful lights and lots of citronella candles. Our mini bistro set cozies right up next to the back of the barn, and is a great place for eating and reading. Our grill (thanks Mom & Dad!) keeps us happy all summer long with a new place to experiment with recipes and that summertime taste that no oven can match.


(image from Small Space Style, 04.22.09)

But I probably should finish raking before I invite anyone over for a barbeque...

No comments:

Post a Comment