Monday, March 16, 2009

Sweet Summertime





Do you have one of these places?  

That spot where you go when you close your eyes and shut out the world around you?

This is definitely one of mine - Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor.  I've been there so many times, and somehow it's brand new and wonderful to me every time.  Brand new, and yet so familiar and comfortable - like an old friend.

Here I have memories of hiking with cousins from "away" (this is Maine speak for any non-mainers among us) until our faces were sunburned and our feet tired from jumping on the rocks.  Here I have memories of day trips with Mom, Dad & Sister - usually involving sandwiches and an ice cream cone.  Here I have memories of numerous weekend camping trips with Grammy & Grampy M. - always involving a stop for popovers at the Jordan Pond House.

And here, I always feel small.  Next the the great rocks, tall trees, miles of trails, and the ocean, I feel so tiny.  And I always wonder how God, in His magnitude and greatness, can care so deeply for me - tiny little me.  And here, I always praise Him - the creative genius who made all of this, and who created my heart to sing whenever I drive onto this island and see the glory around me.  

And today, on a grey chilly Monday, I am going to just close my eyes, and remember the feeling of sun on my face, salt spray on my bare arms, and the peace that always comes from drinking in the beauty around me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment